History of the Exhibition Hall
The history of the Exhibition Hall – the cultural legacy of Saxon porcelain art
The Porcelain Museum was conceived early in the 20th century and given the go-ahead by the Saxon Regional Parliament shortly before the First World War. It was erected directly adjacent to the Porcelain Manufactory. The Exhibition Hall was inaugurated in January 1916 with a major show of representative items. The collection’s contents were intended for public interest whilst also serving as specimen pieces for staff at the Manufactory.
Ravages of war and the re-opening
From 1944, the Exhibition Hall porcelains were evacuated to Meissen’s Albrechtsburg Castle to protect them from the ravages of war. The Exhibition Hall was closed. When the war ended in 1945, the porcelains were transported to what was then the Soviet Union, whence they were returned in 1959. The Exhibition Hall was re-opened in 1960, the year in which the Porcelain Manufactory turned 250, and was now augmented by a Demonstration Workshop. The Exhibition Hall building has survived in its original form and is now additionally graced by a modern annexe built in 2005.
The Museum today
Since 2015, Meissen Porzellan-Stiftung GmbH has been the proprietor of the MEISSEN® State Porcelain Manufactory’s museum material and the body supervising its Porcelain Museum. The remit of Meissen Porzellan Stiftung GmbH includes a duty to uphold the cultural legacy of porcelain manufacture and craftsmanship in Saxony.